[mvapich-discuss] Problems with RDMA

Katherine Holcomb kholcomb at virginia.edu
Fri May 1 10:47:19 EDT 2009

We have a new cluster with Qlogics IB.  Basic diagnostics provided by
the vendor work fine, but when I try to run MPI using MVAPICH (1 or 2) I
get

[vbuf.c 230] Cannot register vbuf region
Internal Error: invalid error code ffffffff (Ring Index out of range) in
MPIDI_C
H3I_RDMA_init:505
Fatal error in MPI_Init:
Other MPI error, error stack:
MPIR_Init_thread(310)....: Initialization failed
MPID_Init(113)...........: channel initialization failed
MPIDI_CH3_Init(168)......:
MPIDI_CH3I_RDMA_init(505):
[vbuf.c 230] Cannot register vbuf region
Internal Error: invalid error code ffffffff (Ring Index out of range) in
MPIDI_C
H3I_RDMA_init:505

repeated once for each process.

We don't have any experience with IB so we are baffled, and I have not
found much useful information on Google.

Thanks for any help.

Katherine Holcomb, Ph.D.                kholcomb at virginia.edu
UVACSE
I046 BSEL, Clark Hall                          (434) 982-5948
University of Virginia 22904