[mvapich-discuss] MV2_USE_LAZY_MEM_UNREGISTER and memory usage?

Xie Min xmxmxie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 10:05:25 EDT 2009

We do some tests these days.

Because we share our testing system with others, and a complete HPL
will run more than two hours,
we don't run the whole HPCC to completion yet.

Without any environment variable setting, we run HPL about 10 times,
each HPL test will
run for about 12 minutes. Several tests still became deadlock, the
"port_rcv_packets" counter of IB card
stop to increase.

One of our parallel applications met some problems, it often segment
fault. But when we set the
MV2_ON_DEMAND_THRESHOLD to the value equals to the tasks number, it
can run successfully.

So we set only one envrionment variable MV2_ON_DEMAND_THRESHOLD=1024,
and run HPL tests again
for about 10 times (128 * 8, 1024 tasks, "RES" of each task is about
1.4GB), each HPL test will run for about 12 minutes.
All tests runs normally, the "port_rcv_packets" counter of IB card
increase continually in the test running time.

If on demand connection is used, seems there are some pthread lock
operations in vbuf.c, I am not sure if this will have
some relationship with the deadlock.