[mvapich-discuss] compiling MVAPICH against GCC-4.3.3

Michael Rapson rpsmic001 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 10:21:08 EDT 2009

Hi there,

The exotic thing about the architecture is that everything dates from
2006. It is an IBM e1350 Cluster with AMD Opteron processors (x86_64)
but it was commissioned in 2006 and the software has been left as is
since then. (Only the original software is supported fully). In
particular it is still using OFED version 1.1.

There is an existing MVAPICH installation on the machine (version
0.9.8 apparently) which I have used to compare my new build against,
in particular getting those parameters I mentioned, but I need to use
more recent gcc compilers for some of my code. (The gcc version on the
machine is 3.3.3.) I have figured out / borrowed from other
applications a good submit script for the old MVAPICH install (pasted
below) but as I say this method of running the executable gives a
'Child exited abnormally!' error (slightly better than when I use
mpirun_rsh -rsh alternative where I get permission denied messages).

So regarding the unusual architecture, its mainly that all the system
files are very old compared to the gcc-4.3.3 compiler. (I have used
one of the other tips for linking to an old ofed package, removing the
-DXRC flag as suggested in
http://mail.cse.ohio-state.edu/pipermail/mvapich-discuss/2009-March/002184.html.)
Perhaps this explains why the PARAMETER statement's values aren't
determined correctly?

Any ideas about whether some of the environment variables below are
necessary or could be causing problems would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

# @ shell = /usr/bin/ksh
# @ output = $(Executable).$(Cluster).out
# @ error = $(Executable).$(Cluster).err
# @ wall_clock_limit = 12:00:00
# @ class= UAT
# @ node = 4
# @ node_usage = not_shared
# @ job_type = MPICH
# @ notification = error
# @ resources = ConsumableCpus(1)
# @ tasks_per_node = 4
# @ environment = GOTO_NUM_THREADS=1; OMP_NUM_THREADS=1;
VIADEV_CLUSTER_SIZE=AUTO; VIADEV_DEFAULT_RETRY_COUNT=15;
VIADEV_DEFAULT_TIME_OUT=22; VIADEV_NUM_RDMA_BUFFER=4;
VIADEV_ADAPTIVE_RDMA_LIMIT=2; VIADEV_SQ_SIZE_MAX=64;
VIADEV_DEFAULT_MAX_SG_LIST=1; VIADEV_MAX_INLINE_SIZE=80;
VIADEV_SRQ_SIZE=2048; VIADEV_VBUF_TOTAL_SIZE=2048;
VIADEV_VBUF_POOL_SIZE=512; VIADEV_VBUF_SECONDARY_POOL_SIZE=128;
VIADEV_ENABLE_AFFINITY=0; DISABLE_RDMA_ALLTOALL=1;
DISABLE_RDMA_ALLGATHER=1; DISABLE_RDMA_BARRIER=1

# @ queue
echo "++++++++++"
echo "host files is:"
echo " "
cat $LOADL_HOSTFILE
cp $LOADL_HOSTFILE $LOADL_STEP_OUT.hostfile
echo " "

/CHPC/usr/local/mvapich/bin/mpirun \
-np $LOADL_TOTAL_TASKS \
-hostfile $LOADL_HOSTFILE \