[mvapich-discuss] Question on how to debug job start failures

Craig Tierney Craig.Tierney at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 27 13:36:41 EDT 2009

Craig Tierney wrote:
> Dhabaleswar Panda wrote:
>> Craig - Could you please tell us little more about the details on your
>> system: node configuration (sockets and cores/socket, processor type), OS
>> version, etc. What kind of Ethernet connectivity does your system have?
>> FYI, mpirun_rsh framework launches the job using the standard TCP/IP
>> calls.
>>

> The system is a cluster based on Supermicro Motherboards.  Each node
> is a dual-socket, quad-core harpertown, 2.8 GHz.  Each node has 16 GB
> of RAM.
>
> We are running Centos 5.1.  We are using the 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5 kernel
> and the e1000e Intel GigE driver.  The nodes boot over NFS.  The entire
> OS image is available via NFS.
>
> About 30 nodes each attach to an SMC8150L2 gigE switch.  The 9 swtiches
> have 2 uplinks to an Force10 switch (not sure of model number).  The
> links are bonded via a port-channel.   Spanning tree is disabled.
>
> We are testing a Centos 5.3 image for a new Nehalemm cluster, but I won't
> have the hardware up until the end of next week.
>
> Craig

A follow-up to my problem.  On the new Nehalem cluster (QDR, Centos 5.3,
OFED-1.4.1, Mvapich-1.2p1), I am still having applications hang when using
mpirun_rsh.  The problem seems to start around 512 cores, but it isn't exact.
Not sure if this helps, but Openmpi does not have an issue (but I know has
a completely different launching mechanism).

The one similarity is that both systems are using SMC Tiger switch Gige switches
within the racks and uplink to a Force10 GigE switch (although the behavior
was repeated when the core switch was a Cisco unit).

I have tried messing with MV2_MT_DEGREE.  Setting this low, 4, seems to help
large jobs start, but it does not solve the problem.

So the problem could be hardware or a race condition caused in the software.
Any ideas of how to debug the software side (or both) would be appreciated).

Thanks,
Craig