[mvapich-discuss] compiling MVAPICH against GCC-4.3.3

Michael Rapson rpsmic001 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 10:11:20 EDT 2009

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for those suggestions. I did get the latest tarball and
installation went without hitch. I didn't run into the PARAMETERS
command problem at all. Incidentally my gcc version is installed in my
home directory so I compiled with -LLIBDIR switch and have exported
the relevant LD_RUN_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables.
This leads into a weird question below but for now just the update on
what I have done.

I corrected the environment variables as you suggested and have tried
a couple of variations of my submit script. The typical error for
mpirun, whether using a single processor or 4 on an node is:
Child exited abnormally!

Killing remote processes...DONE

If I use mpirun_rsh -rsh with more than one node I get the slightly worse error:
Permission denied.

Child exited abnormally!
Killing remote processes...Permission denied.
DONE

This does not occur with just one cpu requested. (I presume this may
indicate that ssh is not allowed by the cluster?)

I have tested the -legacy switch and this does not seem to make any difference.

Finally the weird question, PETSc detects that my MVAPICH installation
is static only. GCC was built with shared libraries enabled, and I
seem to remember that the GotoBLAS library that I build required the
GCC shared libraries even for the static version. (Which meant that I
needed to provide LD_LIBRARY_PATH when running GotoBLAS tests). Is it
possible that the MVAPICH library is dependent on the GCC shared
libraries in a similar way? The previous installation of MVAPICH was
also static only, apparently because that was all that they were able
to get working with the ofed binaries that they have. If there is this
problem, could it be causing the weird behavior?

Thanks,
Michael