[mvapich-discuss] Re: Problems with hostname resolution and MPI_INIT() (Mike Heinz)

Terrence.LIAO at total.com Terrence.LIAO at total.com
Wed Jan 14 08:26:47 EST 2009

Mike,

We have the same problem before (posted in mvapich-discuss Digest, Vol 37,
Issue 1) and just like you, I dug into the mvapich code and modified the
get_host_id().  System admin told me, it is a normal practice to put
hostname to 127.0.0.1 entry just like yours. Of course this the culprit.
Later on, to resolve a sendmail conflict, system admin removed the
hostname from the 127.0.0.1 entry and created the real IP to hostname
entry on /etc/hosts. Of course, with this, no more mvapich code change for
me.  May be the solution to this is let mvapich install guide to advise or
recommend to create entry for hostname in /etc/hosts, and to warn the
potential problem if added it into 127.0.0.1. (May be this is already been
done and, well, I have to admit that I did not read the entire install
guide. )

Thank you very much.

-- Terrence
Terrence Liao, Ph.D.
Research Computer Scientist
TOTAL E&P RESEARCH & TECHNOLOGY USA, LLC
1201 Louisiana, Suite 1800, Houston, TX 77002
Tel: 713.647.3498  Fax: 713.647.3638
Email: terrence.liao at total.com