[mvapich-discuss] Plans for MPMD support for mpirun_rsh

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri Dec 11 13:19:23 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:23:38PM -0500, Gus Correa wrote:
> Hi Jonathan, Craig, list

Hi Gus, comments inline.

> I second Craig's question and request for MPMD support.
> That would be really great for Earth Science applications,
> maybe for other areas as well.
>
> For instance, the whole atmosphere/ocean/climate community
> relies mostly on MPMD for most modern coupled climate models.
> Typically you have five or more executables working in MPMD mode:
> atmosphere, ocean, ice, land, etc, coordinated by a flux coupler.
> Here is one example:
> http://www.ccsm.ucar.edu/models/ccsm3.0/
> Other computational frameworks in Earth Science follow the same
> paradigm and require MPMD.
>
> MPMD is particularly convenient in Linux clusters,
> because it can keep reasonably small sized executables,
> stacks, heaps, etc, whereas a SPMD executable containing
> all code for multiple component models tends to be much larger,
> and may even lead to memory paging, which is disastrous for MPI.

Agreed.

> We are currently restricted to use OpenMPI and MPICH2 for
> these MPMD models, which are at the forefront of our research efforts.
> It is a pity that so far we cannot use MVAPICH2 to test and
> run these MPMD programs, although we use MVAPICH2
> for smaller and less challenging SPMD programs with excellent results.
>
> Since MPICH2 supports MPMD, through the "mpiexec -configfile" option,
> I wonder how difficult it would be to port
> this capability to MVAPICH2 also.

This limitation only exists with the current incarnation of mpirun_rsh.
You can use mpd/mpiexec to launch mvapich2.  Both mpiexec and mpirun_rsh
are built by default when building mvapich2-1.4, therefore you can use
mvapich2 for this applications in the same manner that you use mpich2.