[mvapich-discuss] FW: [mpich-discuss] Odd differences between runs on two clusters / Lost messages?

Dhabaleswar Panda panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Sep 22 17:32:07 EDT 2008

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your reply and confirming that you are running MVAPICH2. Does
your cluster run MVAPICH2 1.0.0 or the latest bugfix version of MVAPICH2
which is 1.0.3. Please note that when we make our release, we go through
extensive testing. However, it is not possible to test it against all
possible MPI programs in the world. As we get feedbacks from users about
problems, we continuously fix bugs and make bugfix releases periodically.
In addition, subsequent releases also add new features. On the MVAPICH2
front, new releases also get `sync'ed' up with the latest MPICH2 releases
from ANL. For example, MVAPICH2 1.0 series is based on MPICH2 1.0.5p4
where as MVAPICH2 1.2 series is based on MPICH2 1.0.7. Thus, if your
application works well with MPICH2 1.0.7, it is not guranteed that it will
work with MVAPICH2 1.0 series (because it is based on MPICH2 1.0.5p4).
That's why I had suggested you in my earlier e-mail to test it against
MVAPICH2 1.2 series because it is based on MPICH2 1.0.7.

Based on the above description, let me suggest you to proceed as follows:

1. Since your cluster has MVAPICH2 1.0 installed, please test your
application using MPICH2 1.0.5p4. If it does not work with MPICH2 1.0.5p4,
it will not work with MVAPICH2 1.0.

2. If your program works with MPICH2 1.0.5p4, but not with MVAPICH2 1.0.0,
please tell your cluster administrator to update your installation to the
latest bugfix release of 1.0 series (MVAPICH2 1.0.3.).  Such bugfix
updates are normal for clusters and your cluster adiministrator should be
doing this periodically. Details of the changes in the mvapich2 1.0 series
can be obtained from the following URL:

http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/download/mvapich2/changes.shtml

3. If your application still fails with MVAPICH2 1.0.3, you may try to
install MVAPICH2 1.2Rc2 on your directoy and try it out. MVAPICH2 is a
user-level library and you should be able to install it in your home
directory and try it out.

4. If it still does not work out, let us know and we will take a look
at the issue in more depth. If you can send us a sample of your
application, it will be much faster for us to debug the problem
and come up with a fix in MVAPICH2 library.

Thanks,

DK