[mvapich-discuss] Possible mvapich bug (possibly not as well).

Dhabaleswar Panda panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri Sep 19 17:54:06 EDT 2008

Thanks for your report. What is your computing platform and how much
memory your computing nodes have (per processor/core)? Does your
application (using the 38381x38381 PDSYGST configuration) require more
memory than being available on these platforms. As you might be knowing,
if you run an application which requires higher amount of memory than
being available, a lot of swapping will occur and your computation will
not be able to make progress. Not sure whether this is the situation you
are encountering. Does this problem happen for this exact matrix size? Are
you able to run your application with any higher sized matrix?

If it is a multi-core-based cluster, can you run your application using
more nodes and less cores/node while keeping the total number of cores for
the application constant (such as using 8 nodes with 4 cores/node vs.  4
nodes with 8 cores/node). If the application runs with the first
configuration but not with the second configuration, it will show that you
are getting constrained by the amount of memory being available per
core/node.

Thanks,

DK