[mvapich-discuss] Is negative host_id number from gethostbyname() a problem?

Terrence.LIAO at total.com Terrence.LIAO at total.com
Thu Oct 30 13:22:38 EDT 2008

Dear Mvapich,

I am building mvapich-1.1rc1 for infinipath HTX card with CentOS5.2 and
OFED1.4 using make.mavpich.gen2.  The build is successfully, but the run
fails,  it never passes the MPI_Init().  It seems fall into an infinite
loop.   I check the gethostbyname() using this code
                 struct hostent *he;
                 he = gethostbyname (myname);
                 int host_id = ((struct in_addr *)
he->h_addr_list[0])->s_addr;
                 printf("host_id: %d\n", host_id);

and get
                host_id: -486364992

Will this the root cause, and any advice what I should do to fix this
problem?

Thank you very much.

-- Terrence
Terrence Liao, Ph.D.
Research Computer Scientist
TOTAL E&P RESEARCH & TECHNOLOGY USA, LLC
1201 Louisiana, Suite 1800, Houston, TX 77002
Tel: 713.647.3498  Fax: 713.647.3638
Email: terrence.liao at total.com