[mvapich-discuss] cpu placement with mpiexec?

Dhabaleswar Panda panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sat Oct 18 09:43:31 EDT 2008

Joseph,

> Correct - it does work with mpiexec and mvapich2
> however does not work with the mvapich1x version with mpiexec. Passing that argument results in error.
>
> we can use the 2x version, i was more just curious.
>
> The key to us is that in our PBS environment, that jobs do terminate
> properly. This works well with mpiexec, but not always with
> mpirun_rsh. So when you say, mpirun_rsh is more scalable, what does
> scale refer to? And is there a way to make job termination/cleanup
> really solid with mpirun_rsh.

The new mpirun_rsh framework takes into account the modern multi-core
architectures (i.e., establishing connections first to a leader in a node
and then to other cores in that node in a hierarchical manner). Thus, the
start-up becomes faster and can scale to larger number of nodes/cores. The
job termination/cleanup issue with mpirun_rsh you are mentioning has been
solved with some of the recent patches. If you download and use mvapich
1.1RC1 or the trunk version of mvapich2 1.2 (not rc2), you will get these
fixes.  These fixes will be part of the formal mvapich 1.1 and mvapich2
1.2 releases (which are coming soon).

Thanks,

DK