[mvapich-discuss] install mvapich when there are two gcc in the system

Pavel Shamis (Pasha) pasha at dev.mellanox.co.il
Wed Mar 26 08:03:48 EDT 2008

> Thanks for your response. I used ifort for fortran compiler and gcc and g++ for c and c++ compiler. I used make.mvapich.gen2, and changed the parameters at lines starting with "export". I do not know how to specify a particular gcc, so I just 'cp gcc gcc-old' and 'rm gcc'. When I use 'which gcc', it gives me the one that I have not changed name and is the one that I want to use. Before I installed the new gcc4.2, everything works just fine. After the install of gcc 4.2,I tried with both the old and new gcc, and none of them work now. The gcc themselves and ifort seem to work when I type 'gcc'or 'ifort', but both mpicc and mpif90 do not work anymore and give me the undefined reference error.

I do not see reason to change the make.mvapich.gen2.
You need:
export CC=/full_path_to_compiler/gcc
export CXX=/full_path_to_compiler/g++
export F77=/full_path_to_compiler/gfortran
export F90=/full_path_to_compiler/gfortran
./make.mvapich.gen2

> Maybe the new installment of gcc 4.2 get some libarary mixed up. I do not know what to do.

The MIX may be a problem. If you installed it from rpm it should be easy
to fix.
rpm -qa | grep gcc
Find the version that you want to remove, and uninstall it:
rpm -e gcc_that_you_want_to_uninstall

> By the way, as you are from Mellanox, My infinibad switch (infiniscale) and HCA cards are from your company. The problem is sometimes when I reboot my computers the state of the cards becomes PORT_INIT(2).
The subnet manager should bring up the port to ACTIVE state.
> There is no way to make them active except to switch off the infiniscale switch and and then switch on all the computers. Do you know a better way?

I guess that you have the subnet manager running on the switches and
from some reason it fails to bring up new ports. You may run additional
subnet manager - OpenSM on one of your machines /etc/init.d/opensm
start. Or maybe we already have Opensm running on the cluster but from
some reason it fails to ACTIVATE new port. In this case you should check
the opensm log file.

BTW who is FAE that supports you ?

Thanks,
Pasha