[mvapich-discuss] Q: MPI_ALLGATHERV causes Invalid communicator & comm=0x0

Manfred Muecke manfred.muecke at univie.ac.at
Thu Jul 3 12:32:20 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have the following problem and ran out of ideas. Maybe someone can help
with some advice.

I get the following error message from all instances of my MPI-program
(FORTRAN90), using MVAPICH2 1.0 (compiled with "mpe=mpicheck"):

Invalid communicator, error stack:
MPI_Comm_rank(107): MPI_Comm_rank(comm=0x0, rank=fffffd7fffdfd2bc) failed
MPI_Comm_rank(65).: Invalid communicator

The error is caused by a call to MPI_ALLGATHERV. It was discussed here
that a similiar looking error is caused by including the wrong mpi.h. This
one differs however in that comm=0x0 (the actual value of the communicator
was 1140850688).

"mpif90 -show" gives:

/opt/local/SunStudio12/SUNWspro/bin/f90
-xO3 -xtarget=opteron -m64
-I/opt/local/MVAPICH/mvapich2-1.0/include
-xO3
-M/opt/local/MVAPICH/mvapich2-1.0/include
-L/opt/local/MVAPICH/mvapich2-1.0/lib
-lmpichf90 -lmpichf90 -lmpich
-L/usr/lib/amd64
-L/usr/ucblib/amd64
-lsocket -lnsl -lresolv -lpthread -ldat -lrt -lnsl -lsocket

I have checked thoroughly and can not find any mpi.h from other
installations interfering. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help, Manfred

Manfred Mücke                manfred.muecke at univie.ac.at
Research Lab Computational Technologies and Applications
rlcta.univie.ac.at      Lenaugasse 2, 1080 Wien, AUSTRIA