[mvapich-discuss] Trouble building MVAPICH2-1.0.3 with any compiler other than gcc

David Gunter dog at lanl.gov
Tue Jul 1 10:40:12 EDT 2008

I have run into this problem previously with the PGI compilers and was
once able to work around it; however, it seems to have reared its ugly
head again and I'm hoping someone on the list knows of a solution.

The problem is that we need to build MVAPICH2 using the Intel,
PathScale and PGI compilers in addition to the GCC compilers.  Even
though the documentation states that it has been tested with these
other compilers I think that such tests were not done with Totalview
support in mind.

What happens during the build is that src/pm/mpd/mtv_setup.py is
invoked.  This causes the Python Distutils to try and create a
Totalview module but Disutils only knows to put in flags for the GCC
compilers.

I have found switches for PGI and PathScale to ignore "invalid" flags
but any code compiled with the resulting build does nothing but
segfault.  I have yet to get Intel to compile the sourcecode.

This leaves us with two options:  Give up on MVAPICH2 in favor of Open-
MPI, which means having only one MPI implementation on a system where
we'd prefer to have two, or give up on Totalview support - which is
not going to fly with our user base.

Does anyone know enough about Distutils to work around this problem?

-david
--
David Gunter
HPC-3: Parallel Tools Team