[mvapich-discuss] where can I find similar env setting on mvapich as these three: MPI_COMM_MAX, MPI_TYPE_MAX and MPI_GROUP_MAX

Terrence.LIAO at total.com Terrence.LIAO at total.com
Thu Jan 31 17:10:38 EST 2008

Hi, WeiKuan,

1) What does your MPI code do? how does it die?
   This is finite difference 3D wave equation solver uses in seismic depth imaging processing and due to its large file I/O, input file size in 1~5TB range and output intermediate file in 1~10GB ranges.  MPI-IO is used.  The code dies with something like "MPI process abnormal exit.." right after it call the MPI_file_open().

2) What system you are running with? What file system you are using?
    The cluster is AMD Opteron Dual-core with IB and Panasas.  Using PGI7.1 and mvapich 1.0 beta.

3) What are the three parameters for? How did they solve your problem?
    You can find more info on googling those 3 parameters.  They have effect on how cached (or buffer) memory been used.  We think it die on MPI_file_open when it is trying to allocate buffer memory.  Those 3 parameters increase the buffer size.

Thank you very much.

-- Terrence
Terrence Liao
TOTAL E&P RESEARCH & TECHNOLOGY USA, LLC
Email: terrence.liao at total.com

Your report is intriguing, hence my questions:
1) What does your MPI code do? how does it die?
2) What system you are running with? What file system you are using?
3) What are the three parameters for? How did they solve your problem?

Any detail info?

--Weikuan