[mvapich-discuss] Help with polled desc error

Le Yan lyan1 at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Feb 12 15:57:59 EST 2008

Hi,

We have the same problem here with Mvapich2 1.0.1 on a Dell infiniband
cluster. It has 8 cores per node and is running RHEL 4.5 (kernel
2.6.9-55). The OFED library version is 1.2.

At first it seemed that any code compiled with Mvapich2 1.0.1 failed at
the MPI_INIT stage when running with more than 128 procs. But later on
we found that a code could run only if it doesn't use all 8 processors
on the same node (which explains why mpiGraph never fails, because it
uses only 1 processor per node). For example, a job running with 16
nodes and 8 procs per node will fail, but one with 32 nodes and 4 procs
per node will not.

In addition, if the MALLOC_CHECK_ environment variable is set to 1, a
bunch of errors appear in the standard error like this:

61: malloc: using debugging hooks
61: free(): invalid pointer 0x707000!
61: Fatal error in MPI_Init:
61: Other MPI error, error stack:
61: MPIR_Init_thread(259)..: Initialization failed
61: MPID_Init(102).........: channel initialization failed
61: MPIDI_CH3_Init(178)....:
61: MPIDI_CH3I_CM_Init(855): Error initializing MVAPICH2 malloc library

I'm not quite sure what these messages mean, but sure it looks like a
memory issue?

Both Mvapich2 0.98 and Mvapich 1.0beta are fine on the same system.

Cheers,
Le