[mvapich-discuss] Error while compiling mvapich-1.1 with sunstudio

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Dec 8 10:25:31 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 02:57:40PM +0100, Thomas Bach wrote:
> Hello,

My responses are inline.

> Jonathan Perkins <perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>
> > Thomas:
> > We've tested mvapich-1.1 with a new install of Sun Studio 12 early this
> > week.  Everything works fine for us.  It looks like there is a slight
> > issue with the arguments that you're passing to the compiler.
> >
> > You should use the second export line after removing the '='.
> >
> > Ex.
> > export LIBS=${LIBS:--L${IBHOME_LIB} -R${IBHOME_LIB} -libverbs -libumad
> > -lpthread}
> >

> Ok, with the new LIBS variable it seems to work except for the c++
> part. Also I had to exchange the line
> SHARED_LIB_SEARCH_PATH_LEADER='-Wl,-rpath-link -Wl,'
> with
> SHARED_LIB_SEARCH_PATH_LEADER='-R'
> in mpif77 and mpif90 to get both working.

You'll also need to set this in mpicxx.

> That also seems to be the problem with the c++ part:
>
> $ cat MPI-2-C++/config.log
>
> In which step is mpicxx generated?

This is generated during the configure step at the same time as the
other mpi* compiler scripts.  It looks like you're having to take this
additional step because of some tests during configure that will not use
-R over -Wl,-rpath-link -Wl, unless the arch is detected as solaris.

We'll look into a more direct solution for users of Sun Studio in future
releases.

> Greets,
>         Thomas

Jonathan Perkins