[mvapich-discuss] Any plausible optimizations?

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Thu Apr 24 10:42:32 EDT 2008

For a small cluster of Dual Quad-Core  E5410  @ 2.33GHz 1333 FSB with
8GB 667MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM the total time for mpi jobs is scaling roughly
as

Total Time ~ C1/(Total Number of mpi) *([Jobs per Bus]**F1) + C2

Where
Jobs per Bus = max(1,[mpi per Node]/2) i.e. dual bus architecture
C1 and C2 depend upon the specific benchmark (C1 >> C2)
F1 ~ 0.6

For reference, I'm using mvapich (not mpd) and infiniband; the
infiniband is fast enough

Among the slew of different possible optimization options in mvapich,
I wonder if there anything which might increase F1, i.e. what I
understand as the FSB limiting term?

--
Laurence Marks
MSE Rm 2036 Cook Hall