[mvapich-discuss] Is MVAPICH working?

Christopher Tanner christopher.tanner at gatech.edu
Thu Apr 3 16:20:21 EDT 2008

Hello all -

This is my first post to this group and I am a newbie to MVAPICH.
Our cluster has both gigabit ethernet and Infiniband connections.
Since I was unfamiliar with Infiniband, I simply used MPICH2 with good
success. However, we paid for the Infiniband connections, so I want to
use them. So I downloaded and compiled the MVAPICH2 1.0.1 source.

I have a couple issues:
a) I don't know what kind of Infiniband libraries we have (i.e. VAPI,
uDAPL, Gen2-IB, iWARP). In fact, I don't know what any of those are...
Does it really matter? I just did the usual 'configure' and 'make'
with what seemed to be no critical errors during compilation. All of
the included make.mvapich2.* scripts did not work for one reason or
another.

b) MVAPICH2 uses an mpd just like MPICH2. Is there a way I can tell if
the mpiexec compiled from the MVAPICH2 source is really using the
Infiniband links instead of the ethernet links? I haven't been able to
see a big speed difference in the MPI applications I executed
recently. Thus far everything runs the same as when MPICH2 was
installed...

Thanks guys and sorry for the really newbie questions...

Chris Tanner
Space Systems Design Lab
Georgia Institute of Technology
christopher.tanner at gatech.edu