[mvapich-discuss] Error trying to build mvapich2-1.0 with PGI 7.0-7

Shaun Rowland rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Sep 17 16:52:59 EDT 2007

David Gunter wrote:
> I am trying to build the new mvapich2 with the PGI 7.0-7 compiler but
> run into a configuration and build error.  Specifically, the build
> scripts are trying to use gcc flags "-fno-strict-aliasing", "-pipe" and
> "-m64".  Where is it picking up those flags and how can I disable this
> behavior?

This is something we will have to investigate some more I think. I can
tell you where they are coming from however. If you enable TotalView
support, the src/pm/mpd/Makefile will try to build the mtv.o file with
the following:

         @if [ "${DO_MTV}" = "yes" ] ; then \
             currdir=`pwd` ; cd ${srcdir}  &&  ${PYTHON} ./mtv_setup.py
build_ext --build-lib=$$currdir --build-temp=$$currdir ;\
         fi

This runs the mtv_setup.py program in the same directory. This program
is what is adding the GCC compiler flags:

[rowland at ro0-cr mpd]$ ./mtv_setup.py build_ext --build-lib=$PWD
--build-temp=$PWD
running build_ext
building 'mtv' extension
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -O2 -g -pipe -m64
-D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC -fPIC -I/usr/include/python2.3 -c mtv.c -o
/home/7/rowland/work/mvapich2-trunk/src/pm/mpd/mtv.o
gcc -pthread -shared
/home/7/rowland/work/mvapich2-trunk/src/pm/mpd/mtv.o -o
/home/7/rowland/work/mvapich2-trunk/src/pm/mpd/mtv.so

For now you can try building without TotalView support. The problem here
(at least from what I've observed previously), is that PGI 6.x would not
die with an error if GCC flags were given, however PGI 7.x does. We
don't currently have access to a PGI 7.x license (just 6.x), but I am
sure that's the problem based on some past experiences.

I'll see if there's anything we can do about this. It might be possible
for you to make a shell script named mtv_setup.py, and just execute
similar commands to what I see above - but with the right compiler, path
($PWD should work), and minus the GCC flags. That's very "hacky" though.
The reason for the Python script is so the right include path will be
used I bet, based on the specific Python installation you have.
Shaun Rowland	rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~rowland/