[mvapich-discuss] smpi_init: error in opening shared memory file

Troy Telford ttelford.groups at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 15:57:30 EDT 2007

I'm running into an issue with MVAPICH when using the OFED IB stack.  We've
been able to reproduce it on MVAPICH 0.9.7, 0.9.8, and 0.9.9.  (Linux x86_64)

When attempting to start an app as a non-root user, we get the following
error:
 open: Permission denied    [2:n03] Abort: [2] smpi_init:error in opening
shared memory file </tmp/ib_shmem-15826-n03-502.tmp>: 29
  at line 817 in file mpid_smpi.c

(Repeated with obvious variation for each node in the run).

We can run the program as root without any issues.

naturally, /tmp is writable by the user, and there is no ib_shmem* files in
place; so I can't figure out why I'm getting a permission problem.  Any
ideas?
--
Troy Telford