[mvapich-discuss] MVAPICH2 Invalid communicator errors

Shaun Rowland rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Sep 12 23:00:42 EDT 2007

Mark Potts wrote:

>    Has anyone had similar problems when building and running
>    MVAPICH2-0.9.8 with Intel compilers.

We do most of our testing with the Intel compiler. The RPM should be
setting the CC/CXX/F77/F90 environment variables to the correct Intel
compiler commands if you choose to build with the Intel compiler, but
for this to work correctly, you have to be able to run the Intel
compiler (C/C++/F77/F90) from the command line simply using the command
names. We can't set that part up during the build. MVAPICH2 will switch
to gcc if it can't run the compiler you want during its own build, so
one way to check is to do:

mpicc -show

to see what compiler it is using. This should verify if it was built
with Intel, gcc, or another compiler. You can also do "ldd
<mpi_binary>" to see what it's linked against. Of course, you have to be
able to run things built with the Intel compiler if you launch those
jobs as well. All I can tell from your description is that it seems like
it could be a setup issue on the system... but I can't really tell. We
specifically test with the Intel 9.1 compiler, and have no problems.

You could get the source code and build it yourself, and then see if
that works instead - but there should be no issue with the RPM build if
it worked using the Intel compiler.

Are you certain the mpicc you were using was Intel? You can use the
-show argument to be totally sure, and it should be pointing library
search paths to the Intel version of MVAPICH2.
Shaun Rowland	rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~rowland/