[mvapich-discuss] mixed stdout lines

Mark Potts potts at hpcapplications.com
Tue Sep 11 15:45:36 EDT 2007

Hi,
    We observe that when large numbers of MVAPICH processes
    (1000+) send even small bits to stdout, the output from the
    various processes gets commingled.  That is, we observe that
    even "Hello World from rank=NN" lines from various ranks result
    in many overlapping lines, dropped characters, etc to the
    screen when output directly from the mpirun_rsh process in a
    large job.  If the mpirun_rsh output is piped through "tee"
    into a file, all output lines are available in perfect order in
    that file.  So this is not a loss of print data between children
    and parent, but rather a parent-centric problem.  Since "tee"
    can not always be used, is there something that you/we can change
    to prevent this garbled stdout data?

           regards,
--