[mvapich-discuss] pthreads and mvapich?

Tim Hartley poobahtim at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 12:42:58 EST 2007

Hi all,

I'm new to the list and am having a strange problem when running
pthreads in an MPI process.  The MPI calls are made safely, i.e. only
from the initial process.  The pthreads are just workers.  However, on
a multicore system, the pthreads always get scheduled on the same
core.  That is, multiple pthreads do not get scheduled on more than
one core concurrently.  I'm mainly curious if anyone has run into this
before.

This is mvapich 0.9.9, gcc 4.1.1, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core
Processor 4600+.  I can provide more information if necessary. I can
provide small sample programs, and screenshots of top, too.

Sadly, I won't be able to recompile mvapich, because I can't find the
infiniband driver on the system.

Thanks,
Tim Hartley