[mvapich-discuss] MVAPICH IB /tmp files

LEI CHAI chai.15 at osu.edu
Mon Jun 4 14:21:30 EDT 2007

Dr. Potts,

The files you have seen are not a problem :-)

MVAPICH uses shared memory for intra-node communication. All the processes on the same node mmap some temporary files, and use the mapped memory regions for intra-node point-to-point and collective communication. As long as you compile MVAPICH with the _SMP_ flag, you will see the files during startup. The files will be cleaned up after the program finishes.

The files are initially created as empty, and then processes touch the files to bring them into the memory. So depending on when you take a look at the files, right after the empty files are created or after they are touched by the processes, the files may be "empty" or "filled".

Lei