[mvapich-discuss] Problem building MVAPICH-0.9.9 with Intel icc compiler

Shaun Rowland rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri Jul 20 14:49:43 EDT 2007

Eric Schnepp wrote:
> Hello,
>  We are having trouble building MVAPICH-0.9.9 with the Intel icc
> compiler. It appears that when using "icc" the C++ MVAPICH libraries are
> failing to build properly.  However if I build it with "g++" instead,
> everything builds properly. We are using the version of the MVAPICH
> source code that came with OFED-1.2, mvapich-0.9.9-1326 and building it
> on RHELAS4.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you for your assistance,
> Eric
>
> # icc -V
> Intel(R) C Compiler for Intel(R) EM64T-based applications, Version
> 9.1    Build 20060707 Package ID: l_cc_c_9.1.042
>
> We are running "make.mvapich.gen2" with the following modifications:
>
> IBHOME=${IBHOME:-/usr}
> IBHOME_LIB=${IBHOME_LIB:-/usr/lib64}
> PREFIX=${PREFIX:-/opt/mvapich/0.9.9-1326_single_rail_intel_9.1}
> export CC=${CC:-icc}
> export CXX=${CXX:-icc}
> export F77=${F77:-ifort}
> export F90=${F90:-ifort}

For our Intel compiler testing, we set CXX to icpc. I am not sure what
effect using icc will have here. If you try icpc for CXX, does it build?
I am thinking that perhaps somewhere in configure, using icc as the C++
compiler might be causing some issue. I am not sure yet. Could you try
using icpc and see if the same error happens? The warning message should
not cause it to fail.

Shaun Rowland	rowland at cse.ohio-state.edu
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~rowland/