[mvapich-discuss] HPL Test results

Pavel Shamis (Pasha) pasha at dev.mellanox.co.il
Tue Jul 17 13:22:00 EDT 2007

> Thanks for the detailed information. First of all, 0.9.7-mlx2.2.0
> version is Mellanox's modified version of MVAPICH. If there are
> issues, you may contact them.

Mellanox is here :-)
> The OSU latency results you have reported seem to be for intra-node
> (i.e., two processes within a node). The numbers are too good to be
> true between inter-node. Can you measure the inter-node latency (i.e.,
> two processes across two different nodes)? This will indicate how the
> inter-node communication is taking place. You can verify these numbers
> with the performance numbers indicated on MVAPICH web page.

Agree with DK , the latency numbers are from shard memory channel and
not IB.
You need to change you command line to something like:

mpirun_rsh -ssh -np 2 node1 node2 VIADEV_DEVICE=mthca0 osu_benchmark/osu_latency

node1 and node2 should be connected with IB (mthca0)

Pasha

> Thanks,
>
> DK
>

>> Many thanks for the suggestions DK...
>>
>> Here is the output via 'mpirun_rsh -v':
>>
>> OSU MVAPICH VERSION 0.9.7-mlx2.2.0 SingleRail
>> Build-ID: 646 TAG=mvapich-0.9.7-mlx2.2.0_20-09-2006-13_10
>>
>> I am also explicitly declaring the device I want to use via the environ variable VIADEV_DEVICE:
>>
>> mpirun_rsh -ssh -np 8 -hostfile machines VIADEV_DEVICE=mthca0 ~/hpl_libgoto_ib/bin/ib.gcc/xhpl
>>
>> Here is the output of mpichversion:
>>
>> ./mpichversion
>> MPICH Version:          1.2.7
>> MPICH Release date:     $Date: 2005/06/22 16:33:49$
>> MPICH Patches applied:  none
>> MPICH configure:        --enable-sharedlib --with-device=ch_gen2 --with-arch=LINUX -prefix=/var/tmp/OFED///usr/local/ofed/mpi/gcc/mvapich-0.9.7-mlx2.2.0 --enable-f77 --enable-f90 -lib=-L/var/tmp/OFED//usr/local/ofed/lib64 -libverbs -lpthread
>> MPICH Device:           ch_gen2
>>
>> Results of osu_benchmark/osu_latency (using mvapich):
>>
>> # OSU MPI Latency Test (Version 2.2)
>> # Size          Latency (us)
>> 0               0.81
>> 1               0.82
>> 2               0.82
>> 4               0.83
>> 8               0.77
>> 16              0.80
>> 32              0.85
>> 64              0.82
>> 128             0.87
>> 256             1.02
>> 512             1.32
>> 1024            1.99
>> 2048            3.27
>> 4096            5.76
>> 8192            10.76
>> 16384           20.70
>> 32768           40.73
>> 65536           80.96
>> 131072          142.71
>> 262144          488.59
>> 524288          1086.96
>> 1048576         2161.83
>> 2097152         4293.26
>> 4194304         8605.62
>>
>> - Michael

>>> 2   20353   10.09       9.95        13.6        74.19         73.14
>>> 4   28784   22.33       20.11       27.2        82.1          73.93
>>> 8   40707   40.35       34.59       54.4        74.17         63.58
>>> 16  57568   65.01       63.34       108.8       59.75         58.22
>>> 32  81414   74.57       68.52       217.6       34.27         31.49