[mvapich-discuss] Has anyone enabled InfiniBand in IBM BladeCenter JS21 by OFED 1.2.5

Matthew Koop koop at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Dec 17 21:12:12 EST 2007

Hi,

In regards to your first comment:

"I want to install OFED 1.2.5 on the IBM BladeCenter to use the MvapiCH2
shipped with it, but unfortunately it seems that the MPI uses the Ethernet
to communicate as before, "

If you are using the MVAPICH2 from OFED it should use InfiniBand (or
iWARP). Only the initial control messages to launch processes use normal
TCP. Why does it seem like it it using Ethernet?

"mpdboot_node01 (handle_mpd_output 359): failed to ping mpd on node01;
recvd output={}"

This is likely a setup issue not related to InfiniBand. Can you try using
the MPICH2 installers guide for using mpdboot (it has special
troubleshooting instructions to guide you at the end of the document)?

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/documentation/files/mpich2-doc-install.pdf

You will likely want to try starting the mpd daemons by hand rather than
through mpdboot to figure out setup issues since it will give you more
output.

Thanks and let us know if you continue to have problems.

Matt