[mvapich-discuss] Verify the application is really running over IB

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Wed Aug 29 13:03:27 EDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 12:54 PM, wgy at altair.com.cn wrote:

> Yes, I think I used mavapich shipped with Topspin, but I am not sure
> unless I  know how to verify it.

If it's in the /usr/local/topspin directory, it's the Topspin (later
Cisco) MVAPICH.

> about latency test, I downloaded
> https://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/svn/mpi/mvapich/trunk/
> osu_benchmarks/osu_latency.c
> and will compile it to run a benchmark. Can you please tell me how
> should
> I run it? how many nodes should be used and how many cpus should be
> involved?

You typically run it with 2 MPI processes; one on each host.  It
measures the MPI network latency between those two hosts.

> I have 4-cores nodes here..
> I would expect to run it as:
> /usr/local/topspin/mpi/mpich/bin/mpirun_ssh -np 2 -hostfile hosts

^^ Is that the right path?  Or is it "mvapich"?  Regardless, I think
wherever you find mpirun_ssh under /usr/local/topspin/mpi is probably
the right one.

> osu_latency.o

Is your executable really named osu_latency.o?  That's uncommon.
Regardless, run the executable that you got when you compiled
osu_latency.c with mpicc.

> and include the following in the hosts file
> hpc-node-01
> hpc-node-02

Sounds right.  I'm not an MVAPICH expert, though -- so I defer to the
maintainers here on this list for the finer details...

> Is it right?
> Thanks a  lot, I am really a newbie with Infiniband....

If this is your own system, I do want to stress that OFED is really
the way to go with HPC InfiniBand installations these days.  The
MPI's that are included are much more recent, and all new development
work is happening in the OFED arena.

I recommend that you upgrade if you can.

--
Jeff Squyres
Cisco Systems