[mvapich-discuss] Verify the application is really running over IB

Abhinav Vishnu vishnu at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Aug 29 12:51:09 EDT 2007

Hi Henry,

To compile osu_latency.c with MVAPICH, you need to use to the MPI compiler,
mpicc, which must be shipped with topspin libraries. On the shell, please
do the following:

$ mpicc osu_latency.c -o lat

The same executable (lat) may be used for execution within a node and across
nodes. To verify that you are using IB, i would recommend using two
nodes, each
having InfiniBand installation, like the Topspin. Say the nodes are
node1 and node2.

MVAPICH provides mpirun_rsh to run the executable:

$ mpirun_rsh - np 2 node1 node2 ./lat

As Dr Panda mentioned in an earlier mail, if you are using Native
InfiniBand, you should
see the latency in order of 2~4 us. Further options and instructions for
execution are
present here:

http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/mvapich_user_guide.html#x1-200005.2

The MVAPICH user guide also has a detailed troubleshooting section,
which is present
at the following URL:

http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/mvapich_user_guide.html#x1-300007

Please let us know the outcome of your experimentation.

Thanks and regards,

:- Abhinav