[mvapich-discuss] Verify the application is really running over IB

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Wed Aug 29 12:44:08 EDT 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 12:25 PM, wgy at altair.com.cn wrote:

> Hello, Jeff:
> The mvapich version is OSU mvapich0.95.
> does it mean that it is Cisco IB stack and therefor the application
> I run
> with mvapich is really running over IB network?

The version of MVAPICH, by itself, does not mean that it is or is not
running over IB.

What *implies* that you are running over IB is:

- You implied that you are using the MVAPICH shipped with the Topspin
IB stack (which is not OFED).  Is that correct?
- I *believe* that the Topspin MVAPICH did not have TCP support
compiled into it (Topspin was before my time, but I am pretty sure
that the Cisco MVAPICH shipped with the Cisco IB stack does not)

What would *prove* that you are using IB (vs. gige) is:

- Run a simple latency test, as Dr. Panda suggested.  Your latency
should be single-digit microseconds (exact numbers depend on your
hardware -- this might be all older stuff since you mentioned
"Topspin", not "Cisco"; Topspin was acquired by Cisco quite a while
ago...).  If your latency is much higher than that (e.g., 50 us),
you're using gige.

--
Jeff Squyres
Cisco Systems