[mvapich-discuss] Verify the application is really running over IB

Dhabaleswar Panda panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Aug 29 11:44:56 EDT 2007

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 wgy at altair.com.cn wrote:

> Hello, list:
> It might be a silly questions but I wonder how to verify run with mvapich
> (come with Topspin Infiniband) over Infiniband, NOT Gigabite network.
> Is there an option to force mvapich to use IB network otherwise just exits?

MVAPICH has several underlying interfaces: Gen2, uDAPL, VAPI, TCP/IP and
shared memory. Please take a look at the user guide (available from
mvapich project page) to see the differences and capabilities of these
interfaces. Gen2 interface (corresponding to OFED) will give you
the best performance and scalability. If you have OFED stack installed,
you should be able to configure mvapich to run over Gen2 interface
(as per the instructions indicated in the user guide). During OFED
installation, you can also select mvapich from the package.

On your existing installation, you can also run OSU benchmarks (such
as OSU latency). If you get latency number in the range of 2~4 microsec
for short messages (say 4 bytes), it is already running over the native
IB.

Hope this helps.

DK