[mvapich-discuss] process limits

LUDOVIC ENAULT ludovic.enault at fr.ibm.com
Wed Aug 29 10:04:43 EDT 2007

Hi Mark,

The limit of 10 sounds to me like an ssh / rsh max number of connections
issue.
Perhaps you would like to give a quick look in that direction.

This is my 2 cents.

Best Regards,
Ludo

             Mark Potts
             <potts at hpcapplica
             tions.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  amith rajith mamidala
             mvapich-discuss-b         <mamidala at cse.ohio-state.edu>
             ounces at cse.ohio-s                                          cc
             tate.edu                  mvapich-discuss at cse.ohio-state.edu
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [mvapich-discuss] process
             29/08/2007 04:19          limits

             Please respond to
             potts at hpcapplicat
                 ions.com

Hi,
    I tried VIADEV_USE_SHMEM_COLL=0 and separately tried
    VIADEV_USE_BLOCKING=1, with no change in results.  During task
    startup I get either "Unable to find child nnnn!", "Child died.
    Timeout while waiting", and/or simply "done."

    I tried repeatedly but was never able to consistently run more
    than 10 ranks (-np 10) on a single node.  I, of course, am
    able to run many more ranks, when I spread the targets across
    more nodes.

   My experiment is to start a very simple code with multiple
   processes on a single node.  Specific details of my setup on two
   machines.  The results were the same:

    Machine Cpus per  Cores per   Avail   Cpu      MVAPICH     MVAPICH
             Node      Cpu        Nodes   Type     version     Device
     A        1         2          3     X86-64  -0.9.9-1168   ch_gen2
     B        2         4         16     X86_64  -0.9.9-1326   ch_gen2

    The MVAPICH code, which was obtained from ofed 1.2 installation,
    has two patches as follows:
     (1) for mpirun_rsh.c from Sayatan Sur of 10 Jul for MVAPICH errant
         process/job cleanup.
     (2) for comm_free.c from Amith Rajith Mamidla of 11 Jul for MVAPICH
         segmentation fault during MPI_Finalize() in large jobs.

    Is it possible that the mpirun_rsh.c patch is prematurely killing
    tasks when it determines that the processes on the oversubscribed
    node are not responding fast enough?  Or is there another
    clean explanation?  As I understand the note from DK this morning,
    oversubscription should work...
          regards,