[mvapich-discuss] viarecv.c:613: viadev_eager_pull: Assertion `rhandle->vbuf_head != ((void *)0)' failed.

Adam Moody moody20 at llnl.gov
Mon Apr 30 20:04:53 EDT 2007

Hello all,
One user's code will sometimes die with MVAPICH-1 0.9.7.  One a given
run, it will randomly lead to one of three outcomes:
    #1)  viarecv.c:613: viadev_eager_pull: Assertion `rhandle->vbuf_head
!= ((void *)0)' failed.
    #2)  MPI_IRECV : Invalid count argument
    #3)  the code runs without error
 From what I can tell, in case #1, the message that leads to the
assertion failure is an unexpected eager message ~1700 bytes from an
off-node task.  The rhandle shows that vbufs_expected=1, but both
vbuf_head and vbuf_tail are NULL.

So far, this code runs without error in 0.9.9.  I'd like to determine
whether 0.9.9 fixes the problem, or whether it's still out there, but
that the new optimizations in 0.9.9 affect timings in such a way so as
to increase our odds of avoiding it.  Are there any particular fixes in
0.9.9 which address the race condition described above?
Thanks,
-Adam Moody
DEG/LLNL