[mvapich-discuss] Problems on 64-bit Intel based Mac

Umit V. Catalyurek uvc at ece.osu.edu
Thu Nov 2 14:39:00 EST 2006

I understand this is not be the right forum for this question but since the
most stable mpi implementation I could find was mvapich2 0.9.6 (on 64-bit
Intel based Mac with Mac OS X 10.4.8 using TCP/IP on Ethernet), I thought
this forum might be my best bet :)

I was wondering if any of you is successfully using any version of mvapich
(or mpich or any other mpi implementation :) on an 64-bit Intel based Mac on
64-bit mode. When compiled and link 32-bit everything is working fine on
that machine, but when I compiled and link 64-bit (using Apple's gcc 4.0.1
with "-m64" option), I get some nasty kernel panics without any prior error
or any other indicator that something is going wrong.

It is highly likely that the problem is coming from Apple's not matured
64-bit support on Intel architecture, but I wonder if any of you also
encountered this problem and if there is a workaround for those nasty kernel
panics.

Thanks,
Umit