[mvapich-discuss] 0.9.8 build error

Dhabaleswar Panda panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Nov 1 10:45:09 EST 2006

Steve,

> > We have tested MVAPICH extensively with VAPI libraries provided by
> > Mellanox (IBGD, version 1.8.2). During our testing we did not see these
> > errors. Can you try out with IBGD and let us know the outcome of your
> > experimentation?
> >
> > Also, as you are aware, the IB community is moving towards Openfabrics
> > based drivers. I would strongly suggest you to upgrade your stack with
> > openfabrics gen2 drivers. Please let us know the outcome.
>
> i'm aware your sending the message the IB community is moving towards this,
> but vendors still make the statement it's not mature and they continue to
> release both their driver stack along side an optimized version of the OF
> stack.

I am surprised about vendors still making statements about OF stack
not being mature ....

I am aware that several `production' clusters are using the OF stack.
Some more are also being installed. OFED 1.0 and OFED 1.1 releases and
the collaborative efforts by all organizations involved in designing
the OF stack were meant to achieve such `matured production-based'
environments for IB and iWARP.

Might be you can post your above question to OpenFabrics mailing list
and some people can share their experience.

I am also cc'ing this note to Bill Boas, one of the main persons
behind the OF organizations. Also, Matt Lenninger is a member of this
list. Both of them may comment on the `maturity' of the OF stack.

Others in this list (mvapich-discuss) are also welcome to share their
experience and thoughts regarding the maturity of the OF stack.

> so, are you stating that i don't have an option of using the cisco IB driver
> and OSU MVAPICH 0.9.8?

As Abhinav indicated in his reply earlier, the VAPI interface of
MVAPICH 0.9.8 has been tested with Mellanox IBGD 1.8.2. As you have
continued to use MVAPICH with the earlier versions of the
Topspin/Cisco stack with the VAPI interface, there should not be any
problem for you to upgrade and run MVAPICH 0.9.8 with the VAPI
interface of the Topspin/Cisco stack. Since we do have access to this
stack, we are not sure about why you are getting the compiling errors.
Might be you can contact your Cisco representative and they will be
able to extend help.

Best Regards,

DK