[mvapich-discuss] Node crashes when all memory is used

Jimmy Tang jtang at tchpc.tcd.ie
Mon Jun 19 11:50:00 EDT 2006

Hi

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 11:22:16AM -0400, Matthew Koop wrote:
> Christopher,
>
> Does this problem occur at startup or later in program execution? Also,
> I'm assuming you are using 0.9.7? If not, I suggest upgrading to get the
> latest performance features we have available.
>
> I'll echo the suggestion of Jimmy and suggest disabling
> LAZY_MEM_UNREGISTER from the CFLAGS in make.mvapich.gen2. This may have a
> slight performance impact on your program execution, but should eliminate
> any memory capacity issues.

We actually did some quick benchmarking with vasp with
LAZY_MEM_UNREGISTER off and found that the performance hit was ~5% but
that obviously depends on how big your system is and what simulations
you are running. (we tested with 32 and 64 cpus)

Thanks,
Jimmy.

--
Jimmy Tang
Trinity Centre for High Performance Computing,