[mvapich-discuss] (no subject)

Sayantan Sur surs at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jul 5 10:13:39 EDT 2006

Hi Adam,

Adam M. Smith wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I'm trying to get ParaView working on a linux cluster.  I have confirmed
>that, for any session with np>1 all procs can't get past MPI_Init (and
>ParaView seems to be passing the right args). [backtrace at end of
>message]

Thanks for trying out Paraview with MVAPICH!

>In the MVAPICH User Guide, in the section about applications not passing
>MPI_Init, I have covered some of the basic tests.  That is...
>
>- I'm using ssh with keys and have tested connecting from each node to
>every other without entering a password
>- I have confirmed that the hostnames supplied to mpirun_rsh match those
>used in /etc/hosts on all machines
>- I can run ibv_rc_pingpong and similar tests without any problem at all,
>naming the hosts as I do trying to run ParaView with mpirun_rsh (whee! cpi
>is fast)
>
>(one of the tests mentioned for VAPI, perf_main I can't find)
>
>What else can I try?  What does this mean?
>
>Importantly
>- other programs we built here use mvapich over our network fine (though
>I'm not extremely familiar with thier configuration)
>- the other tools using mvapich seem to use the same shared libraries as
>the one I built

Thanks for verifying the basic setup of MVAPICH and for going over the
user guide suggestions.

>#8  0x0000000001aeed39 in init_mpi_connections ()

Could you tell us which version of MVAPICH you are using on the linux
cluster? I ask this since this function was used in a preliminary
version of MVAPICH-gen2 which was older than MVAPICH-0.9.7 (and our
current MVAPICH-0.9.8). This function name is still used in our
`multi-rail' version of MVAPICH-0.9.7. A bit more crisply, there are two
questions:

1) If you are using a version older than MVAPICH-0.9.7, then could you
please download/install the MVAPICH-0.9.7 or MVAPICH-0.9.8-RC0 and
verify the problem still exists?

2) Could you confirm whether you are using the multi-rail version of
MVAPICH-0.9.7 or not.

Thanks,
Sayantan.

--