(fwd) [mvapich-discuss] FW: MVAPICH2 does not run...

wei huang huanwei at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Jan 31 14:57:40 EST 2006

Hi,

> 1. We have (and currently do) run Argonne's MPICH2 on our cluster and it
> works fine. The reason we want to go with the OSU software is that we
> want to take advantage of the uDAPL interface instead of the TCP/IP that
> we presently use in Argonne's software. However, my original concern is
> that the OSU software does not even work on Ethernet based TCP/IP
> whereas Argonne's MPICH2 seems to work fine.

We are a bit confused about this. MVAPICH2 current version is
extened from MPICH2-1.0.2p1. So the TCP/IP stack should work wherever
MPICH2 works. Could you please let us know the MPICH2 version you are
using?

Also, in your earlier emails you said that you made some changes to get
the code compile on your system. Could you please let us know what changes
you had made (a patch will be preferred) and send us the
compiling/configure script you are using? Also, as a comparison, would you
please send us the compiling script that you used for MPICH2.

> 2. About possible network issues with name resolutions:
> Like I said in the original email, the OSU software works fine on two
> Linux PCs connected back-to-back via Ethernet (i.e. they are not on any
> network). So I find it strange that our MIPS64 cluster (which ARE
> connected to outside network via front panel Ethernet) would complain
> about name resolution issues.

Again, there may be some problems with your system setup if python
gethostname_ex throws exception. You might want to consult your sysadm
about this issue.

Thanks!

Regards,
Wei Huang

774 Dreese Lab, 2015 Neil Ave,
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
Ohio State University
OH 43210
Tel: (614)292-8501