[mvapich-discuss] OpenIB Presentation on MVAPICH/MVAPICH2 has

Dhabaleswar Panda panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Feb 13 15:04:21 EST 2006

> Hi All
>
> Does anyone know any work on implementing (hardware) fault tolerance on
> MPI? (i.e. node/connection failures in the middle of a calculation
> should be handled in software). I downloaded some academic software that
> claims to achieve this but I could not get it to run correctly even on a
> Linux PC cluster (and our target hardware is a lot more sophisticated)

Thanks for your interest in the fault-tolerance stuff in MPI.

> Has any work on this regard been done/being planned in Prof. Panda's
> lab? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Yes. Please take a look at the slides which I presented at the OpenIB
workshop last week. The slides are available from MVAPICH web page as
well as from OpenIB web page.

We are working on solutions along three directions (slide #45) to
provide varying degrees of fault-tolerance:

1. Mem-to-Mem Reliability (Slides #46-47): This support will provide
software-level detection of I/O-bus (such as PCI-x/PCI-Ex) errors at
the MPI level and will provide reliable data transfer from memory of
the source node to the memory of the destination node. This feature
will be available in MVAPICH 0.9.7 in the next few weeks.

2. Network-level Fault Tolerance with Automatic Path Migration (APM)
(Slides #49-51): InfiniBand provides APM supports which migrates an
existing path of communication to another path in case a link or
switch fails in an existing path. This can happen in the middle of any
computation and the underlying MPI library will take care of it. We
have incorporated this support to MVAPICH and testing it. It will be
released in the upcoming releases of MVAPICH and MVAPICH2.

3. Process-Level Fault Tolerance with Checkpoint Restart (Slides
#52-57): This provides the highest level of fault tolerance including
node failure. With this support enabled, the MPI application will go
through periodic checkpoints. If any failure occurs (node or
connection), the application can be restarted from the last
check-point.  Once again, we have this solution working in the lab
with MVAPICH2. We are carrying out in-depth testing. We plan to make a
release of this feature in the upcoming MVAPICH2 release.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

DK