[mvapich-discuss] installation

Abhinav Vishnu vishnu at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu Dec 21 12:40:44 EST 2006

Hi Jess,

Thanks for trying MVAPICH and reporting the problem to us.

* On Dec,1 Jess Kondor<jess.kondor at gmail.com> wrote :

>  Hello,
>
>   we have cluster with Infiniband provided by Topspin, and thus we have mvapich
> (I suppose)  installed in /usr/local/topspin/mpi/mpich/ . I see that this
> version is out-of-date, and I wanted to install new one ( 0.9.8). However,
> configure didn't find any infiniband drivers. Is it possible to install mvapich
> under user privileges?

MVAPICH has a couple of make scripts for different devices (VAPI, Gen2
and uDAPL). Their names are make.mvapich.{vapi, gen2, udapl}
respectively. It is possible to install MVAPICH under user privileges.
A user can compile MVAPICH in his directory and use the binaries for
running any MPI application. More details are present at the following
links:

(MVAPICH compliation with Gen2)
http://nowlab.cse.ohio-state.edu/projects/mpi-iba/mvapich_user_guide.html#x1-100004.4.1

(MVAPICH compilation with VAPI)
http://nowlab.cse.ohio-state.edu/projects/mpi-iba/mvapich_user_guide.html#x1-110004.4.2

However, i am not sure whether the drivers for your cluster are based on
VAPI/Gen2. IMO, if you take a look at /usr/local/topspin, you may be
able to find it out, or contact your vendor for this information. Once
we have this information, we should be able to help out with respect to
compiling and installing MVAPICH on your cluster in a better fashion.

Please let us know the outcome of your findings.

Thanks again,

:- Abhinav