[mvapich-discuss] problem w/MVAPICH in the frames of Gen1

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Fri Aug 11 14:36:37 EDT 2006

In message from Jimmy Tang <jtang at tchpc.tcd.ie> (Thu, 10 Aug 2006
19:25:19 +0100):
>Hi Mikhail,
>On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 10:02:27PM +0400, Mikhail Kuzminsky wrote:
>> In message from Andrey Slepuhin <andrey.slepuhin at t-platforms.ru>
>>(Thu,
>> 10 Aug 2006 21:17:37 +0400):
>> >So, the problem is with memory locking - see the failed mlock() in
>>the
>> >end of output. Regardless of rlimits you also may have memlock
>> >capability enabled only for root - I don't remember exact /proc
>>entry,
>> >where you can disable it, but you can try to search it.
>> Yes, may be sysctl -w vm.disable_cap_mlock=1
>> (proposed here sometime ago) performs this job (I don't know exactly
>> the sense of this key), but my /proc don't have this file. I also
>> didn't find any file (in /proc) having "mlock" context.
>---end quoted text---
>perhaps doing a "sysctl -a | less" and see what resembles
>vm.disable_cap_mlock (which is sles9 2.6 kernel) on the system you
>are
>on?
     Jimmy,
   I performed this thing few days ago: w/o any good ideas in my head.

>or if you are really daring and really trust your users (and the
>software
>you are running in terms of security) perhaps you can try setting the
>suid bit on various pieces of software you are using. though its
>probably a bad idea :)

I'm probably crazy sysadmin (although usually my style is closer to
paranoid) :-) - I had like thoughts also ;-) I think it'll be
necessary (and enough) to add seteuid() (change to root) before
VAPI_alloc_pd call in viainit.c, and to add "returning" seteuid() -
after this call.

But 1st of all (if it's kernel problem), may be there is some patch
which enable mlock() for non-priveleggrd user - if it's right, that
mlock() is "forbidden". Mellanox wrote that 2.4.21 kernel from Rocks
distribution works w/whole IBGD-1.8.0 software collection.

Yours
Mikhail