[mvapich-discuss] problem w/MVAPICH in the frames of Gen1

Jimmy Tang jtang at tchpc.tcd.ie
Tue Aug 8 18:40:54 EDT 2006

Hi Mikhail,

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 02:25:30AM +0400, Mikhail Kuzminsky wrote:
> >Actually, since you updated the settings for ssh (sshd-script), you
> >should use `ssh' to launch the programs. ie, use mpirun_rsh WITHOUT
> >any -rsh flag or WITH -ssh flag. Note that you would likely need to
> >have ssh keys setup so that you can ssh without any password.
>
> For cpi test w/1 process I typed password manually :-)
>
> >A few quick questions ... I'm sure you might have verified them
> >already, just for clarification --
> >1. If you log in as "guest" and execute "ulimit -l" on the shell
> >prompt, do you see 2046260?
> >Alternatively, if you execute the command
> >"ssh guest at node01 ulimit -l", do you still see that 2046260?
>
> Yes, of course in both cases I see 2046260.
> But "rsh <nodename> ulimit -l" says 859446.
>
> >2. Can you run cpi as root?
>
> YES! Under root mvapich-0.9.8 works OK, although I installed it under
> not privelegged user (w/username I used for MPI tests)!
>
> But the limits for this user are the same as for root, and I don't
> understand what is the reason and where is my error :-(

---end quoted text---

rsh doesnt inherit the ulimit -l settings that you have set in your
ssh configuration files.  for rsh to pickup the settings you will need
to configure in /etc/limits.conf as you have done so already, just
make sure you have "session    required   pam_limits.so" in your
/etc/pam.d/login (its probably /etc/pam.conf in suse im not too sure).
also rshd is usually started from inetd or xinetd. so if you set the
ulimit for one of those daemons its child processes should inherit it.

i am not sure how one goes about setting a ulimit setting for rsh
other than setting it for inetd/xinetd then letting its child
processes inherit it.

and as Sayantan suggests, using ssh is probably better and prefered.

Jimmy.

--
Jimmy Tang
Trinity Centre for High Performance Computing,