[mvapich-discuss] MVAPICH bug report

Kevin Ball kball at pathscale.com
Mon Aug 7 19:54:05 EDT 2006

Dear MVAPICH development team,

  We believe we have found a bug in the MVAPICH QP initialization
process.  In mpid/ch_gen2/viaparam.c a number of efault values are set
using preprocessor macros from mpid/ch_gen2/ibverbs_const.h.  Many of
these values, however, can vary by device.  For example,
viadev_default_mtu, viadev_default_qp_ous_rd_atom, and
viadev_default_max_sg_list are set to VIADEV_DEFAULT_MTU,
VIADEV_DEFAULT_QP_OUS_RD_ATOM, and VIADEV_DEFAULT_MAX_SG_LIST.  They are
later used without checking to see if the values assigned are supported
by the device, leading to failures at runtime in the case where this is
not true.

  The values supported by the device can be discovered using the verb
ibv_query_device.

Thanks!

Kevin Ball
Senior Engineer