[IMUG-L] Reference database updates

Heather G. Fisher hgfisher at SVSU.edu
Mon Apr 10 08:55:56 EDT 2017

Hi everyone -

The topic of reference databases came up at IUG. A colleague was at the Birds of a Feather session where it was discussed and volunteered her notes.

>From Karen Perone: "As promised, here are my notes from our BoF session on reference databases at IUG:

Sierra users should be getting the latest Millennium upgrades as part of their Sierra upgrades. Check the Help > About in Millennium to be sure.

32 Sierra libraries are using reference databases.

Heather Myers (Innovative engineer) had initially thought of Vital as the product to move us to but is thinking differently after our discussion. Vital is similar to CONTENTdm but "better" (their description) Vital can handle non-standard XML schemas and metadata.

Leif Pedersen talked about use cases for workflow and the need for a metadata-specific system. Use cases include Innovative's new Knowledge Base as groundwork for progress. He is convinced that we should have a working product for us in 12-18 months.

I told him I was writing that down :)

I hope that will help the music librarians with their questions. If they have any questions or comments I would suggest they either send them directly to Innovative or I suppose I have become the spokesperson for this subset of users and they can contact me. Innovative really needs to know what each of the users is using their databases for and how the data is set up so they can come up with the RIGHT solution.

Innovative contacts are:
Leif Pedersen - lpedersen at iii.com<mailto:lpedersen at iii.com>
Heather Myers - hmyers at iii.com<mailto:hmyers at iii.com>
Hilary Newman - hnewman at iii.com<mailto:hnewman at iii.com>

On the IUG side:
Karen Perone - kperone at rodmanlibrary.com<mailto:kperone at rodmanlibrary.com>
Beth Juhl - bjuhl at uark.edu"<mailto:bjuhl at uark.edu>

<mailto:bjuhl at uark.edu>

Hope that helps a bit!

Heather

--------

Heather Fisher, MM, MLIS

Metadata / Catalog Librarian

Music, Children's Literature, and ELP Liaison Librarian

Zahnow Library

Saginaw Valley State University

989-964-7053