[IMUG-L] Maybe time to look for bad flips again?

Scharff, Mark mscharff at wustl.edu
Fri Mar 10 14:51:45 EST 2017

Hi, all.  This message is directed to those of you whose sites have the Automatic Authority Control Product (AACP) turned on at your place.  This product compares newly-arrived or -revised authority records with headings in your bib records, on either a full- or partial-match basis (which of these happens is a choice that is supposed to be made locally; I think that partial matches are the default).  In the full-match scenario, any match of all the elements in an authority-record reference with a heading in a bib record will trigger a flip in the bib record to the authorized heading in the authority record.  These are rarely problems.

In a partial-match scenario, any portion of the bib heading that matches a reference in the new/revised authority record will be flipped to the 1XX form of the authority record; any subfields left over in the bib heading will be appended to the flipped heading.  So you can get titles such as "Harpsichord music. Selections, BWV 564, C major" (instead of "Toccatas, harpsichord, BWV 564" or "Songs. Selections, WoO 33" instead of "Deutsch Volkslieder, WoO 33."

I spot-checked a few III catalogs.  I found one or two bad flips in UNT's catalog, none in Oberlin's, and what is likely a good bunch in Ohio State's catalog.  None of these searches extended beyond a few searches, so no guarantees.

I write because I found some of these flips in our catalog; they appear to have been occurring since about May of last year.  Our site coordinator is checking to see if our AACP setting got changed (it's supposed to require full matches, for precisely this reason; we've been through two massive repair jobs in the 15 years since we installed AACP).  If it did, it could have been a result of a new release.

On request, I will send a document more fully explaining the problem, with a list of the headings that I've found to be problems.

Mark Scharff, Music Cataloger
Gaylord Music Library
Washington University in St. Louis
mscharff at wustl.edu<mailto:mscharff at wustl.edu>