[Folkserv] FW: ISFNR lecture on 16 February 2023: Mayako Murai -- multi species narratives

Noyes, Dorothy noyes.10 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 15 16:40:28 EST 2024

Dorothy Noyes
Director, Mershon Center
Arts & Sciences Distinguished Professor of English
Professor of Comparative Studies
The Mershon Center for International Security Studies
1010 Derby Hall, 154 N. Oval Mall
The Ohio State University
Columbus, OH 43210
noyes.10 at osu.edu<mailto:noyes.10 at osu.edu>

From: Nidhi Mathur <nisfnr at gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 05:05
To: Nidhi Mathur <nidhimathur42 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Fwd: ISFNR lecture on 16 February 2023: Mayako Murai
Dear ISFNR members, As a means of encouraging and stimulating world-wide cooperation among folklorists, and to getting better aquainted with each other's research, the ISFNR has launched the online lecture series entitled The ISFNR Lecture
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
<https://us-phishalarm-ewt.proofpoint.com/EWT/v1/KGKeukY!vYQd06gICssMJnG7V2ek94v2-xjXEz2N59O3qE-pq3u1YTxRgBW-k9ID2QqotpRBFfZxAzSci2blcdnCgE1cr9aA3f_49gEse3Huj_JMoc7AoFxJIy_4aeWTvkip$>
Report Suspicious <https://us-phishalarm-ewt.proofpoint.com/EWT/v1/KGKeukY!vYQd06gICssMJnG7V2ek94v2-xjXEz2N59O3qE-pq3u1YTxRgBW-k9ID2QqotpRBFfZxAzSci2blcdnCgE1cr9aA3f_49gEse3Huj_JMoc7AoFxJIy_4aeWTvkip$>

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

Dear ISFNR members,
As a means of encouraging and stimulating world-wide cooperation among folklorists, and to getting better aquainted with each other's research, the ISFNR has launched the online lecture series entitled The ISFNR Lecture Series: Voices from Around the Globe.
On Friday, 16 February 2023, at 1 p.m. CEWT (!), we will present the tenth lecture in the series, entitled Multispecies Fairy-Tale Library Project: Designing a Public Library Exhibition in Rural Japan.
The lecture will be given by Professor Professor Mayako Murai, the English Department at Kanagawa University, and will be chaired by Dr. Dani Schrire from The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
Please see the abstract and short bionote of the lecturer below.
The lecture will take place in English and will be accessible at the following zoom link which you are welcome to share with any interested parties:
Topic: ISFNR Lecture Series: Voices from Around the Globe.
Join Zoom Meeting

https://penta-zagreb-hr.zoom.us/j/89538484023<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/penta-zagreb-hr.zoom.us/j/89538484023__;!!KGKeukY!zNd-AKfW9mAPCRpjaliRD9ZJR2xK2Q7M3I7y8KObxnYjqmpgS777kId461ZiuAsNYTXcsHZ-2OFuU8A$>

Meeting ID: 895 3848 4023

For further information, see: http://isfnr.org/isfnr-online-lectures/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/isfnr.org/isfnr-online-lectures/__;!!KGKeukY!zNd-AKfW9mAPCRpjaliRD9ZJR2xK2Q7M3I7y8KObxnYjqmpgS777kId461ZiuAsNYTXcsHZ-im6jtxo$>
We very much hope to meet you online! With my very best wishes,
Mirjam Mencej, on behalf of the EC of the ISFNR

Abstract: “Multispecies Fairy-Tale Library,” which I have started recently, is a project whose aim is to rethink human beings’ relationship with other species through a reclassification of tale types. Instead of separating Animal Tales from the rest of the folktales as the ATU index does, this project proposes to create a new category Multispecies Tales in which more than two species, including humans, play important roles in the development of narrative and to classify them into six groups according to the kinds of relations between characters belonging to different species. This new classification is only tentative, and I intend to develop this idea by using different methods. One of them is to organise a series of Multispecies Fairy-Tale Library exhibitions and workshops to discuss multispecies fairy tales with people with various social and cultural backgrounds. In this talk, I will give an outline of my plan to hold a picturebook exhibition and a workshop at a public library in rural Japan in March 2024. It will be my first attempt at holding such an exhibition, and I would very much appreciate your comments and suggestions for this project!

Bio: Mayako Murai is professor of English and comparative literature at Kanagawa University, Japan. She is the author of From Dog Bridegroom to Wolf Girl: Contemporary Japanese Fairy-Tale Adaptations in Conversation with the West and co-editor of Re-Orienting the Fairy Tale: Contemporary Adaptations across Cultures, both published by Wayne State University Press. She curated the exhibitions Fur Story at Leeds Arts University and Storymakers in Contemporary Japanese Art at Japan Foundation Sydney Gallery. She is currently writing a book on fairy-tale animals in contemporary art and picturebook illustration.

[https://s-install.avcdn.net/ipm/preview/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!KGKeukY!zNd-AKfW9mAPCRpjaliRD9ZJR2xK2Q7M3I7y8KObxnYjqmpgS777kId461ZiuAsNYTXcsHZ-J44VGl8$>