[Folkserv] Friday: Utley Lecture with Christopher Marsh

Moriarty, Megan moriarty.8 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 28 09:34:17 EDT 2023

To our Folklore Community-

The Utley Lecture is hosted in partnership through the Center for Folklore Studies and the Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies. It's this Friday at 4 pm in the 18th Avenue Library- I hope to see you there.

Megan Moriarty

I write to remind you that this Friday (3/31) is the 14th Francis Lee Utley Lecture featuring Christopher Marsh (Queen’s University Belfast) presenting "How to Produce a Hit Song (in Seventeenth-Century England)." The lecture will take place at 4:00PM in  the Colloquium Space in the 18th Ave Library.

Abstract: This lecture will consider the possibility that pop music began not in the 1950s, but in the 1590s (or thereabouts). Broadside ballads – sheet songs that sold for a penny a piece in early modern England – were, arguably, the first form of commercially-driven popular music and also the cheapest form of literature available at the time. The talk will focus particularly on 120 ballads that can be identified as major hits of the period, asking what it was about these super-songs that made them so successful and set them apart from thousands of other surviving ballads.  We'll hear and see a range of songs, dealing with topics such as love, death, violence, religion and politics.

Speaker Bio: Christopher Marsh is a social and cultural historian of early modern England and has published work on religion, social relations, gender and music. He teaches on various subjects, including popular culture, the family, gender relations and the history of museums.

This event is free and open to the public, so feel free to spread the word. The lecture is co-hosted by the Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, the Center for Folklore Studies, and the OSU Humanities Institute.

For more information, go to: https://go.osu.edu/cmrs_cm_onl

If you have any questions, please reach out to cmrs_gaa at osu.edu.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Elise Robbins