[Folkserv] Emily Hilliard to Visit OSU Campus 3/27 (Next Monday!)

Ahlstone, Daisy M. ahlstone.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Mon Mar 20 12:50:14 EDT 2023

Hello all!

It is with pleasure that I remind us Emily Hilliard, author of Making Our Future: Visionary Folklore in Appalachi<https://store.prologuebookshop.com/book/9781469671628>a will be spending the day at OSU campus and the greater Columbus area on Monday, 3/27.

Event Information:

Making Our Future: Conversations with Emily Hilliard, March 27th, 2023.

  1.  Book Talk: 10AM Hagerty 198a, Emily will discuss her new book, Making Our Future: Visionary Folklore and Everyday Culture in Appalachia. Audience members will have the opportunity to ask about contemporary folklore, Appalachian folklife and careers in public humanities.  This event is free and open to the public.

  2.  Student Lunch: 12pm Hagerty 451, (RSVP to the lunch through this link<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSedar5TrRSfwBIaEUk41fb-dL4Zql2vj5_CweQSyJjwVV-P_A/viewform> by March 21st). Students interested in working in public humanities outside of academia will have the opportunity to network with one another and chat with Hilliard.

  3.  Public Humanities Career Workshop: 2PM, Timashev N450, Hilliard will lead a professionalization workshop for students to discuss folklore and other humanities careers outside of academia. She will discuss her time serving as the State Folklorist for West Virginia and her work as co-founder of the feminist record label SPINSTER<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://osu.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1f1850891cf5f3741c45b9b3e&id=a943340e8e&e=7c3bcccbfb__;!!KGKeukY!yAsbDcyOi1e44iibGiPYijm2QI0F4q7l_6-cbohNy3cBKmu-2uNPorsyFMF4BJum-Sy06XwDi6Zi$>

  4.  Author Event: 6PM, Prologue Bookshop<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/author-event-with-emily-hilliard-at-prologue-bookshop-tickets-583945315157?aff=ebdssbdestsearch>, Meet and discuss Making Our Future, live reading from the text, and a more public-facing discussion!

Emily Hilliard is the Program Director for Folk and Traditional Arts at Mid Atlantic Arts, managing the Central Appalachia Living Traditions program. She is also a 2020-2021 American Folklife Center Archie Green Fellow, for a project documenting rural mail carriers in Central Appalachia. From 2015-2021, Hilliard worked as the West Virginia State Folklorist and Founding Director of the West Virginia Folklife Program at the West Virginia Humanities Council. She holds an M.A. in folklore from the University of North Carolina, and a B.A. in English and French from the University of Michigan. Her book, Making Our Future: Visionary Folklore and Everyday Culture in Appalachia, was published by the University of North Carolina Press in November 2022.

Hilliard has been a faculty member of the University of Michigan's New England Literature Program, and currently teaches in Marshall University's Graduate Humanities Program.

Her research and writing interests include foodways, vernacular music, occupational folklife, feminism and domestic space, and the intersections between traditional, experimental, and radical culture.

[cid:c9b9f593-9d71-48c0-a0c6-5757144ae37b]

-Daisy Ahlstone