[Folkserv] Spring class on language and place

Modan, Galey modan.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 6 21:54:49 EST 2023

Hi everyone,

I still have some room in my language and place class, which I thought might be of interest to some of you. The class meets on Tuesdays from 1:50-4:50. Description below; feel free to email me with any questions.

Happy New Year,

Galey

English 7872: Language and Place (Special Topics in English Linguistics)

Spring 2023

Galey Modan (modan.1 at osu.edu)

Tues 1:50-4:50

This interdisciplinary course addresses how humans use language to imbue space with social meaning, turning space into place. We will investigate topics such as media representations of gentrification, catcalling and gendered rights to space, linguistic encoding of spatial relations, linguistic landscapes (written language in the built environment), jumping scale, and race, accent and local identity. The class will also include a brief introduction to discourse analysis. Reading materials are drawn from the fields of sociolinguistics, urban and linguistic anthropology, and cultural geography, with an emphasis on ethnographic work. Students will conduct their own mini-ethnographies of a place of their choice within the Columbus area. Although no knowledge of linguistics is assumed, readings and discussions include (but are not limited to) close analysis of the linguistic features and strategies that speakers or writers use in their constructions of place.